July 8, 2011

die flesh, die!


In my last post I talked about crucifying the flesh & walking by the Spirit. I believe the Lord  has been leading me to work on self-control, a fruit of the Spirit. (Galatians 5:22-23) I have  practically started working on this fruit by doing a couple things:
1. The Daniel Fast (www.daniel-fast.com), by denying myself sugar &
carbs, things that are a weakness for me, I am killing my flesh. The same
is true with any sin… the more we starve the desire the easier it is to stay
away from it & the less you think about it, as it is with sugar for me. But
as soon as I start eating it again, I start craving it again. Ridiculous! Mike
& I started the Daniel Fast 2 weeks ago & it’s going well so far! It feels
good to starve my flesh.
2. 31 Days To Clean (cleaning program by Sarah Mae). Each day I
make some time to deep clean an area of my house that I don’t clean
normally. It takes killing my flesh to get up the energy & to spend the
time doing this each day. But it is a joy to serve my family in this way. :)
3. Getting to bed early & waking up early. I’ve always needed about
8 hours of sleep in order to feel alive during the day. I want to rise early
to workout & have time with the Lord before the boys wake up & in order
to do that I need to get in bed early. I get in bed between 9 & 10 &
wake up at 5:45. All I have to say is… I am NOT a morning person, but
being a mommy of 2 young boys means I don’t get to decide that. :)
“She rises while it is yet night and provides food for her household.”
Proverbs 31:15
4. Working out… I want to be healthy in order to serve the Lord &
my family well. I am going to start getting up at 5:45am to take Oliver
(my little sister’s dog that we’re keeping for awhile) on a walk, needed
exercise for both of us. “She dresses herself with strength and makes
her arms strong.” Proverbs 31:17
5. Time with my Lord, I can’t do anything apart from Him! I need
time with Him! He is why I do all of “this”. I need Him more than any
of these other things I’ve listed. There really is no excuse to not spend
time with Him. So after my walks I’m going to spend time with Him,
prayerfully before the boys get up. ;)
I’m really excited to see how the Lord uses these practical things to produce self-control in me. I pray I am faithful with where He has me & what He’s called me to.
al

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...