December 20, 2012

both to will & to work

photo
(embracing the camera here)

we visited sovereign grace louisville this past sunday & it was so rich & refreshing for my soul. i am so weary of my sin & failings as a mommy. i get so tired of messing up & then repenting & then doing so well & then failing again. the teaching was on philippians 2:12-13 & oh how i needed to hear these truths.

"therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, so now, not only as in my presence but much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure."

in my weariness with this fight against sin it is God who works in me to give me the desire, the will, & the ability & strength (work) to be sanctified. we don't play equal parts with God in the work of sanctification. He does it all. He places in us the desire to be more like Him. then He gives us the will. & then he does the work in us. He is to be praised!! He is at work in us!!!

& the best part... all of His work in us is for His good pleasure. it has nothing to do with us. it's not to achieve being "righteous". for His good pleasure! this takes the attention off of us. hallelujah! so all of my weariness & frustration is just selfishness. because being sanctified is not for me. it's not that i would succeed at being mommy. i need to chill out & stop "trying" so hard to make His sanctifying work complete. He is already at work. & He is faithful to complete the work He's started in me.

i am His good work & praise the Lord He is making me more like Him!
al

9 comments:

mustard seed said...

hopped over from embrace the camera. So needed to hear those words this morning. Thank you!

Catherine

Chantel said...

first of all - your family is adorable!
second - I love this post. it is so easy to get down on ourselves as moms but thankfully it's not about us!! thank you for this post!

britney said...

wow! so good, friend!!!

Sarah said...

Our pastors just moved down to Louisville to be apart of Pastors College with Sovereign Grace and our good friends are getting ready to move there in Jan as well to go to Southern Seminary....small world!!

allison barker said...

thank you friends!

Sarah, that's amazing!!! are they from minnesota? we saw them on sunday!

Cory said...

Take heart sister, you're not alone!

Boni Lady said...

Stopping in from Embrace today! Nice picture and inspiring words!

Sarah said...

Yes they are from Minnesota!! Wonderful people!!!

adrienne said...

I read this post at the PERFECT time!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...