June 25, 2013

keep your eyes on the road

photo
our 3 little boys are quite loud, crazy & dramatic. mike & i aren't very loud, crazy, dramatic people, so all 3 of them at once can be a little overwhelming. when they're being crazy it's easy to give in to their craziness & get too worked up. i was driving the other day and i thought of this analogy in regards to my children's craziness & my response to them...
when there is a car on the side of the road or an accident everyone that drives by slows down & stares & therefore loses sight of what is in front of them & could possibly end up in an accident as well.

when i give in to my children's moods & fits & let it overwhelm me & cloud my vision i will end up spiraling downward as well. i will get frustrated & worked up & myself become too dramatic about whatever they're freaking out about. 
but if i keep my eyes fixed on the Lord & focus on "driving well" He will give me the grace to respond gently & graciously to them. & how amazing to learn to not be tossed around by their moods, but choosing to stay steady on Him. 
al

3 comments:

Becca S. said...

Thank you so much for this post, Al!
It's exactly what I needed today. I can get so worked up when my kids are overreacting to things. It's so easy to lose sight of the bigger picture and get bogged down in the day to day discipline and teaching and feel like there will never be any progress in our kid's behaviour or softening of their hearts.
Makes me think of the verse in Hebrews, "Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the Author and perfecter of our faith who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God."
Thanks again! :)

allison barker said...

:)

Unknown said...

thank you for this. God is good and I needed it right this moment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...