April 25, 2012

"Look after Orphans and Widows" (guest post)

Hello, I am so delighted to be guest posting for Al while she is in Uganda. I am Megan from The Unlikely Housewife and I have know Allison for about 8 years now and have been so blessed by her friendship. As most of you know Al and her family are in Uganda where they are adopting a precious little boy Amos. I cannot wait for you all to see his sweet face. So precious!! I wanted to briefly share on adoption:

James 1:27 says, "Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world."

I am so struck by how clear the Lord puts it. He says to take care of them. Nothing confusing about that. I do think this looks different for everyone in the body of Christ. Some are called to adopt, some to support adoption, some to foster care, some to be a mentor and Christ-like example and some to visit and bring encouragement. I believe a huge message that James is communicating is that as the body we are not to forget about anyone especially those we see in need. And that we are all to be apart of caring for orphans and widows. So, with a convicted heart I encourage you to ask yourself what you can do to be more a part of caring for orphans and widows.

Galatians 4:5-7 says, "to redeem those who were under the law, so that we might receive adoption as sons. And because you are sons, God has sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, crying, 'Abba! Father!' So you are no longer a slave, but a son, and if a son, then an heir through God."

Adoption is a beautiful example of the Gospel. I was lost and alone and Christ came and called me beloved and called me his daughter. Earthly adoption portrays that. Not that the family adopting is that child's savior, but that family has said you are no longer alone you are no longer fatherless and motherless you are our son or daughter now. So beautiful!!

I wanted to leave you with what The Church at Brook Hills in Birmingham, AL did a few years ago when challenged by a sermon their pastor David Platt preached. In the sermon on James 1:27 he states, "... I (David Platt) wondered why could we not take our county and say, ‘We’re not going to let a child in our county be without a mom or dad for a night, without someone who will care for them and love on them, maybe for a short time or maybe for a long time." As a result of that 70 families signed up to help look after orphans in their county. Amazing!!! That is so encouraging!! Here is the full article

Let us all be diligently praying for the Barkers as they are bonding with Amos and as they prepare to bring him into their home. As well as prayerfully considering how each of us can be more apart of adoption and caring for widows. I know the example of the Barkers and others in my life have greatly challenged me with how to care for orphans and widows. Have a beautiful day!


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...