March 22, 2013

"the gospel in her home" (He delights in us)

_MG_0447
oh my tendency is to see my children as "an inconvenience" or "a hassle" or just "part of my to do list". i've heard so many parents complain & treat their children like they wish they didn't have them. like they wish they could live their lives the way it was before they had children. from the moment our children are born we've tried to figure out ways to fit them into OUR routine & how to send them off to someone else to teach & raise them. we're lazy. we don't see how urgent it is that we put our phones/computers/books/sleep/parties/conveniences aside, & disciple & train them. we want to be comfortable & we're selfish. (all of this said, i know there are single moms & working moms that would give much to be with their children more to love on them & train them. i know the Father will show grace to you & your children.)

_MG_9918_MG_9934_MG_9935
i know what i'm supposed to do... "slow down" & love on them & delight in them. & i know up until now i've had sweet moments & maybe a few seasons of really delighting in them. even in my moments of sheer delight somewhere in the back of my head i'm thinking, "ok, i have to get back to ______ so i can mark it off my list of things i need to get done today".
_MG_9906_MG_9903_MG_9907
just this past week the Father has been solidifying in me how much value there is to deeply loving my boys. this truth is becoming real to me & it's changing my heart! being in every moment WITH them, not just in the same room, but really present! to delight in them!!!! to find joy in just the fact that they exist. they're little humans. they have thoughts & opinions & they will grow into men & husbands & daddies (if the Lord wills) & what i'm doing RIGHT NOW, everyday will affect who they become. oh what joy they are! to just love them! not to look at them like... "ok, i have you & i have to take care of your physical needs & that's cool, but also pretty exhausting & maybe annoying." but loving them because He first loved us! 
_MG_9931_MG_9909_MG_9900
our Father... oh He loved us first! & we love out of His love for us. He adores us! He delights in us! He always has, He always will. before the universe was, before we were formed in our mother's womb, He delighted in us. He doesn't love us for anything we can "do" for Him. He doesn't love us because of all we've gone through together.  He didn't think about us & suddenly become annoyed because our sin would send Him to the cross. talk about inconvenient... HE SENT HIS SON TO DIE FOR US! for the sin that we committed when we were in perfect union with Him. He knew we'd sin against Him & He knew He'd have to go to the cross to rescue us from our sin & separation from Him. & yet He delights in US! He loved & loves us just because we exist. He created us & He loves us. we are His people & hallelujah He delights in us! we need Your grace to love them well!!!

"the Lord your God is in your midst 
a mighty one who will save;
He will rejoice over you with gladness;
He will quiet you by His love;
He will exult over you with loud singing." zephaniah 3:17


"for the Lord takes pleasure in his people;
    He adorns the humble with salvation." psalm 149:4

read brit's post & tiff's post.
al

ps
a great article about God's delight in us from desiringgod.org.

6 comments:

Jared and Stephanie said...

Al, this post is beautiful and your heart is so sincere and genuine! This encouraged me for the many moments I will have with them today, even now. I love you!

Our Green Nest said...

OH my, so very true. Very encouraging! It's very hard to understand people who seem to very much want to have kids but then can't wait to send them off for someone else to take care of them. Just this last weekend a gal on my soccer team (who is 12 wks pregnant) was asked about her pregnancy in front of me and how things were going and if she was excited about giving birth...she said "OH NO!...I can't wait for it all to be over (referring to pregnancy and birth) and get back to "work"." My jaw dropped...but I know that's not an unusual attitude at all. So very sad. I personally have lost 4 babies in the last 4 years and would beyond LOVE being blessed with another that I could love on/raise...so it's especially hard to hear someone be so flippant about the incredible blessing it is to be pregnant/have a baby! Sorry, way too much info, but loved the post. Highly encouraging.

allison barker said...

thanks steph!!!

oh friend... i'm so so sorry for your losses! i pray for peace & comfort & much joy in His purposes for your family!

adrienne said...

Lovely and challenging!

Tara said...

Beautiful post! So inspiring. I have an 11 week old and I'm a new stay at home mom. And I feel pressure to have my house be perfect.. Not to spend all my time with my daughter. I need to remember why we chose me to stay home. For our child. Not a clean house

allison barker said...

:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...