February 11, 2013

joy in the mundane

a guest post i did for see the skyline last week. :)

when i started my blog my plan was to do/write about anything having to do with family & being a mommy... so i did a lot of recipes & some DIYs (the normal mommy blog stuff), but as i've grown in my blog i'm reminded that THE MOST important thing to cling to as mommy is the gospel of Christ. what are we, what do we have apart from Him? our efforts are empty & failing without our gracious Father sustaining us. 
IMG_1891
our days as mommies & followers of Christ feel so pointless when we start feeling "what are we accomplishing?" it can be overwhelming at times... folding clean clothes & putting them away just to get them dirty again, washing dishes just to fill them with food & dirty them again, cleaning floors that will have dust & dirt scattered in minutes. but what joy to worship our Father in the daily... many days of repeat, dirty & clean, empty & full. our Father does this with us daily. we sin & He returns us to fellowship with Him as we repent & on & on it goes. this is redemption's work. filling what is empty, & making beautiful what was ugly. we are rehearsing the gospel in all of our mundane tasks. we are bringing Him glory. may we see our many days in a new light. He does not grow weary & impatient with us, praise the Lord! may He give us the grace to not grow weary or faint. 
IMG_1928
the gospel proclaimed through pears sliced & juice poured to fill a little one's belly that will only be empty again. He sees us in our need & fills us & all glory is to Him.
al

4 comments:

Meghan Hill said...

This is beautifully written. I am not a mommy myself (although i wish I was!!) but many of my close friends struggle with this. And I think what you are saying is so true. The Lord is faithful. And He is there in the small and mundane.

sarah j. said...

thank you. i have recently found myself feeling like i'm "not accomplishing anything." a friend reminded me that i have 2 beautiful boys that are fed, mostly clean and a joy to be around (most of the time). your post was so encouraging, reminding me that that what i do during the day is a ministry to my family, so there might not always be a lot to show for my day when you look at the house. praise the Lord He sees more than just my house!

Chelsey said...

I love the way you write and what a gospel-centered mother you are. Your focus on Christ in all things and your humility are what instantly made yor blog a favorite when I discovered it a few months ago. It is such a breath of fresh air!

I just read this post before yours and since they are on the same theme, I thought you might enjoy it as well:

http://www.girltalkhome.com/blog/a-gospel-centered-mom-looks-both-ways1

allison barker said...

:)!!!! thank u thank u for your sweet words!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...